At St. Dunstan’s we believe that provision should begin with quality first teaching. Wherever possible, children will be educated in the mainstream classroom and will have additional support and personalised education plans put into place as required. We will assess the needs of every individual child across our school and ensure that provision is suitable to their needs and ensures that they are able to make progress.
Mrs Baker is the SENDco at St Dunstan's and can be contacted through the school office or on 0161 681 5665.
The roles and responsibilities of the SENDco are clearly set out in the Special Educational Needs and Disability Code of Practice. They include the following:
- overseeing the day-to-day operation of the school’s SEND policy
- co-ordinating provision for children with SEND
- liaising with the relevant Designated Teacher where a looked after pupil has SEND
- advising on the graduated approach to providing SEND support
- advising on the deployment of the school’s delegated budget and other resources to meet pupils’ needs effectively
- liaising with parents of pupils with SEND
- liaising with early years providers, other schools, educational psychologists, health and social care professionals, and independent or voluntary bodies
- being a key point of contact with external agencies, especially the local authority and its support services
- liaising with potential next providers of education to ensure a pupil and their parents are informed about options and a smooth transition is planned
- working with the headteacher and school governors to ensure that the school meets its responsibilities under the Equality Act (2010) with regard to reasonable adjustments and access arrangements
- ensuring that the school keeps the records of all pupils with SEND up to date